Schock’s Scrap by Stephanie

Thursday, June 26, 2008

Join the REVOLUTION!!!

Well it's summertime, and since I'm a teacher, I have all of June, July and part of August off from work. I had these great big ideas about what I wanted to accomplish- mainly around the house- but found myself overwhelmed. Either my husband and I would bust our butts going through organizing, throwing out and cleaning up for an entire weekend OR I'd start something, get pulled away by the kids, and then feeling like I'd accomplished nothing, give up. The house isn't dirty or anything- I'd clear a social services check LOL... but I feel overwhelmed by little clutter piles and sometimes can't find what I need.

So, being that I have this great digiscrap community at DigiShopTalk, I reached out with a simple post in the Chatter forum: "I'm Domestically Challenged". I wasn't sure what to expect but hoped to get some ideas to keep the house free of clutter (I'm a stacker- stacks of magazines, the kids have toys stacked up on the built-in bookshelves, etc.)

Well, the response was HUGE! Everyone either had a helpful comment or were letting me know they were in the same boat and also looking for ideas and support. It has spun off into a "Declutter challenge" and what I'm calling the "Declutter Revolution"! I've already gotten some great tips and feel INSPIRED to get to work one step at a time.

Who'd have thought all of this support would come from the digiscrap community? Just one more reason I not only love to scrap but love the forums at DST and GDS!

10 comments:

Juliana said...

Oh, I must go check out that thread. I, too, am domestically challenged!

Thanks for visiting my blog today.

Azrood said...

As I'm sure you already know, you're not alone in your quest to fight the clutter. I'm definitely going to have to go check out those threads to see what tips I can pick up for myself. :)

Michelle said...

I am a stacker too. I have done flylady in the past. Regretfully, not all the habits held.

Monique said...

Congrats on finding so much support! It took us a month to get through our basement cleaning... lol. And we're still not completely finished, but we have to wait on other people before we can finish the last little bit. Good luck!

Amanda said...

I've decided my house will be decluttered when my kids are older. I figure in 3 more years when I've got them both in school LOL.

Thank for commenting on my blog. I got my tumblers at Target in the travel coffee cup section. I've heard of people getting them at Starbucks or ordering Aladdin brand ones online too.

DawnMarch said...

I'm definitely a believer in decluttering and I tend to use the Flylady method (work in zones a little at a time). I'm a stacker too, and for magazines, after a time, I'll just throw out the whole bottom of the stack if I haven't read them. no sense letting magazines -- which are supposed to be fun right? -- make me stressed out!

ScrapShana said...

I'll be checking that thread out for sure. I'm a teacher too, and THOUGHT I'd get some organizing done this summer, but all I seem to do is play on the computer! LOL This might be the inspiration I need. :)

Melissa said...

Good luck with the decluttering. We have just moved so we got rid of a heap of stuff which was great.

Anonymous said...

Im so with you! Off to check it out!

Megan Turnidge said...

LOL! My house is such a mess right now... :(